Thermal nature: slightly warming.
Favor: bitter and mildly pungent.
- Contains the diuretic asparagine, which explains its capacity to eliminate water through the kidneys. Treats many types of kidney problems but should not be used when there is inﬂammation.
- Helps to cleanse the arteries of cholesterol and is useful in vascular problems such as hypertension and arteriosclerosis.
The underground tubers of asparagus used in Chinese herbology:
- Tonify the yin ﬂuids of the kidneys,
- Moisten the lungs,
- A cooling remedy used to treat lunge congestion, spitting up blood, coughing up blood-tinged sputum, chronic bronchitis,
- The wasting stage of diseases such as diabetes and tuberculosis.
- lt also improves the feminine principle, especially in the aggressive person, and is used to ease menstrual difficulties, promote fertility, and increases one’s receptive and compassionate nature.
Too much asparagus can irritate the kidneys.
Avoid in cold type-diarrhea (watery stools) and in lungs congestion when chills predominate.