In this section we consider the properties and healthful of nuts and oils-rich seeds. These fatty foods are typically the best sources of
- Vitamin E, which acts as a nerve protector and immune enhancing antioxidant,
- Common nuts and seeds also contain the greatest quantity of fats of all unprocessed foods –much of it in the form of essential fatty acids
Both fats and the fat-soluble nutrient, vitamin E, play a crucial role in liver function and its attendant emotions of
People who eat isolated fats such as refined seed oils have a greater need for vitamin E as an antioxidant to protect against the oxidation of these oils. On the other hand, if large amounts of isolated vitamin E are ingested, more fat is craved.
By eating vitamin E as a component of the oils it naturally occurs in, for instance, in nuts, seeds, unrefined oils, and whole grains, there is less need to be concerned about taking supplemental vitamin E for protection.
Vitamin E and essential fatty acids are but a sampling of the nutritional power of seeds. (Nuts, grains, and legumes are also seeds.) Certainly the many additional nutrients in seeds, including a wealth of vitamins, minerals, amino acids, carbohydrates, minerals, and others, play synergistic roles in the creation of their remarkable properties. Looked at in total, the seed is the spark of life, a living and perfect food with all the elements necessary for vitality.
The problem of rancid seeds and nuts:
- Nuts and seeds become rancid and lose their nutrients when they are hulled or shelled. Deterioration begins immediately and continues, somewhat, even when vacuum-packed without oxygen.
- Rancidity causes irritation to the linings of the stomach and intestines.
- The pancreatic enzymes that digest oils in these foods are retarded. Thus the oils cannot be digested or assimilated efficiently.
- Can contribute to poor immunity, cancer, and other chronic diseases.
- Destroys vitamins A, E, and F in the food, plus those stored in the body.
- A cause of gall bladder and liver complaints. (Results in anger and indecision).
lt is better not to eat nuts and seeds at all than to eat rancid ones.
Selection and storage:
- Buy nuts only in the shell. They will last up to one year.
- Store hulled seeds in dark bottles in cold places. Heat and light speed oxidation. Do not store in plastic. Oil-rich food combines with plastic to form plasticides.
- Taste seeds and nuts before buying
- Poisons and toxins tend to accumulate in all seeds, so it is important to buy organic non-sprayed ones.